Effective August 25, 2015 Pennsylvania State Law now requires that EVERY volunteer who has direct contact with students to have the necessary clearances on file with the school district.
The clearances are:
* Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check (Act 34)
* FBI Federal Criminal History Record (Act 114). (If you have resided in Pennsylvania for ALL of the past 10 years and have never been convicted of a Disqualifying Offense, you can request a waiver of the FBI Fingerprint Clearance).
- The fingerprint background check is a multiple-step process.
- The applicant must register prior to going to the fingerprint site:
- Registration is completed online 24 hours/day, seven days/week at www.pa.cogentid.com. You can also register by phone at 1-888-439-2486 Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 6 PM. Please select “PA Department of Education” when registering.
- The fee is $27 and can be made online at the above web address using a credit or debit card. Money orders or cashiers checks, payable to “3M Cogent” will be accepted at the fingerprinting site for those applicants who do not have the means to pay electronically. No cash or personal checks will be accepted.
- Once you register, you have 90 days from the registration date to go to one of the fingerprint locations to get your fingerprints. To see a list of approved fingerprint locations, please click here.
You do NOT need the FBI Clearance if you meet the following TWO criteria:
- You have been a resident of Pennsylvania for the ENTIRETY of the past 10 years AND
- You have NEVER been convicted of a Disqualifying Offense (Criminal Homicide, Aggravated Assault, Stalking, Kidnapping, Unlawful Restraint, Rape, Statutory Sexual Assault, Sexual Assault, Involuntary Deviate Sexual Intercourse, Aggravated Indecent Assault, Indecent Assault, Indecent Exposure, Incest, Concealing the Death of a Child, Endangering the Welfare of a Child, Dealing in Infant Children, Prostitution and Related Offenses, Crimes Related to Obscene and Other Sexual Materials and Performances, Corruption of Minors, Sexual Abuse of Children, Named as the Perpetrator of a Founded Report of Child Abuse OR WITHIN THE 5-YEAR PERIOD IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING, convicted of a Felony Offense under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act).
- Once you have received ALL THREE clearances (or two, plus the waiver if you are eligible for that), you must bring the ORIGINALS (and one copy to expedite the process), the signed Acknowledgement of Volunteer Obligations (click here) and Photo Identification to the Bethel Park School District Administration Buildings (301 Church Road) on Thursday, September 24 between 2 and 7 PM. If you need an alternate time, please call Mary Beth Gregg at 412-854-8402 to schedule an appointment.
- All volunteers must appear in person. No one can bring your clearances in on your behalf.
- Your clearances will be reviewed and copied for the District’s files. The originals will be returned to you. Your name will be added to a School and Central Database of Volunteers who have submitted all clearances and paperwork.
- Your photo will be taken to create a plastic Qualified Volunteer ID Card. You will need to present/wear this card every time you are volunteering. The card, once created, will be sent to the school of your choice to be picked up when you volunteer. Please bring this card with you to school EVERY TIME you volunteer and show it to the school secretary when you sign in. If you lose your Volunteer ID Card, replacement cards are $5.
Volunteers MUST be approved by Central Administration and issued a Qualified Volunteer Card to be eligible to volunteer. Please do not take your clearances to the schools.
You will not be able to volunteer until your clearances have been processed at the Administration Building and you have been issued a Qualified Volunteer ID Card.
Advertising helps supplement this free website by DigitalPTO.com | Disable Ads Here